Sunday 19 December 2010

Sniffing too much Rosin

  So an update is needed about my harry Potter premier tickets( a month late--but yes). I was not able to go because a flu like virus decided to mug me and leave me stranded on my couch the week of. The only thing I got up for was to drag myself to an orchestra contest I had. Can't skip that. Especially with all practice time I devoted to it!
  I don't think I've mentioned, but violin is my passion as of late. I started in 5th grade along with all my other classmates, but unlike them I keep coming back year after year. I just can't get enough of that shrill E string I guess. Until this year it's always been a hobby that I do for enjoyment, but something changed. I credit one of my favorite artists, Emilie Autumn, (I'm actually listening to her right now as I peck away on my keyboard). Her brilliant mastery of the electric violin has inspired me to turn my hobby into a living.

  This year alone I've played more than I've ever played in my life. First contributer: I finally made it into the top orchestra, Symphonic, my sophomore year amazingly. Last year I was in Philharmonic--I skipped freshie orchestra, not to brag or anything. Haha! Second reason: Musical! Yes I voluntarily signed myself up for this form of orchestral torture/bootcamp. This year they picked Little Women. I literally had no life the month of October. Wake up, go to school, musical practice until 6:30 or even 9,  go home and eat dinner, do homework, sleep, and repeat. Not to mention weekend rehearsals and the ones over break, and my private lessons which I had two times a week to help with figuring out the crazy musical key signatures--6 sharps anyone. I ate and breathed music.  In short hardest and most fun thing I have ever done musically! I've actually been physically maimed from it! Just kidding; I now have a hickey-esque raw spot on my neck from where my violin rests. So if anyone asks, my boyfriend is Ludwig( yes I named my violin. Who doesn't? All the losers that's who.) He loves to nibble on my throat. *giggle*
  Third cause: I tried out for All State Orchestra--another suicide attempt. All State is a competition for spots in an orchestra comprised of the best players from around the state. The group gets together for 2 or 3 days of nonstop playing to learn their music for the concert they will give. It's a very prestigious honor. Scouts from university's come to watch, so if you're serious like I am, then it's a great opportunity. But, I didn't make it this year. I failed quite epically actually. It's okay though, I'm only a sophomore, I have 2 more years. And this the first it was even open for me to attempt, so I wasn't really expecting such tough competition; I know better now. Practice practice practice my friends! By senior year I'll be on that stage creating a cloud of rosin dust!
  Currently I am taking my solo, La Folia by: Corelli,-- which I've been working on for almost a year now-- to district solo and ensemble( and then to state) and to audition for a summer music camp, Quartz Mountain. I really hope I can get into Quartz that would such a wonderful experience. Two weeks of musical immersion! Wish me luck. What's something you dream of doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment