Wednesday 8 June 2011

Purple Panic!

  Dear Readers,
  I just learned a very valuable lesson: NEVER dye your hair in anyway if my mom is around to see it. Luckily I was not the dyee--which is ironic. My sister Kayla was actually the one who dyed her hair. She had her ends dipped in a lovely shade of purple. I totally approve of course. But our mum went ballistic. I feel kind of bad, because I'm the one who brought it to her attention.
  I was in the kitchen getting water, when I saw the purple ends dangling from her underneath her locks. At first I thought, "Nice extensions". Then her hair moved and I glimpsed where violet met marron(brown). A double take was required. My little baby sister dyed her hair before I did (Wow, that makes me feel like such a loser.)
 I came over to where she sat at the kitchen table--just to make sure it was my sister--and inquired "Kayla, when did you dye your hair purple?" Her eyes bulged and she threw me one of those 'stop-right-there-and-don't-say-another-word-or-I-will-murder-you' looks. Looking back now, I probably should have abided to her contorted face; but I guess it just didn't register in my brain that mum didn't know. I certainly would have never guessed she would have blown up like that. So, I bluntly stated, "Kayla's hair is purple."
 This is the point where our mother realizes what we are talking about and comes over to shriek at her. It was painful to watch, and at first I ducked out of the room, not wanting to watch the chaos I had evoked. But I realized the least I could do was the defend the poor sister I had thrown to the lions. Edging around the corner, I tried reasoning with the raving lady that had my sister's head under the sink, futilely washing the offending purple stains. "It's not going to come out like that. It will only last a couple weeks. It's not a big deal." But my cries went unheard, and she proceeded to drag her out the back door, where the rest of us in the kitchen could still hear her bellowing at the top her lungs.
  I mean my goodness, it's a little color! Hair grows and dye fades. It's not permanent. I now can't believe I ever entertained the thought of dying my whole head, for I know now my mother would surely shave it! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment