Tuesday 4 January 2011

Crazy for Blueberries!!!!!

I think I'm in love guys!! With whom you ask? Why, the charming and sweet Mr. Blueberry!
 I don't typically like eating them by themselves, but sprinkled throughout a pancake is another story completely....
 So I hunted down a relatively healthy blueberry pancake recipe( courtesy of madehealthier.com). Sorry about the eggs my stricter vegetarians, I am a pesco-veghead. Try adding 4 tablespoons of water in place of them, or maybe an egg substitute would suffice. The original recipe also called for vanilla, but I found it a weird addition. Feel free to add it( it was only a teaspoon. Also coffee is a substitute for vanilla as well). If you are using soy, another way you could incorporate the vanilla flavor is by using vanilla soymilk( Silk is a wonderful brand)


INGREDIENTS
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups plain soymilk or milk
2 eggs
1 to 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 Tbsp oil 
Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes
DIRECTIONS
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl whisk together the soymilk and eggs. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and start mixing( gently stir in the blueberries at this point). Be careful not to over mix, you want it to be a bit lumpy.
Put a very thin coating of oil or butter in a nonstick pan. Pour in approximately 1/4 cup of the batter per pancake. When bubbles start to form on the top of the batter, you know the drill: flip those bad boys over, and cook for a couple more minutes. 
Another way I enjoy blueberries is dried. I'm a huge fan of any dried fruit really. I had a handful today in my lunch along with dried apricots, a granola bar, and ants on a log.
So give this delicious little blue fruit a chance. All he wants is to fill you with yummy antioxidants!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment