Friday 7 January 2011

Inaugural Foodie Friday!

 Attention one and all! Announcing the debut of Foodie Fridays: a day dedicated to food!
 After posting about my addiction to blueberries, I decided it would be cool to set aside a day just for my rants on food. I'm always looking for new recipes to try. To me food should be colorful, exciting, and of course delicious. I hate hate hate eating the same thing over and over again! I need variety. So I've decided to keep you updated on my adventures in the culinary field.
 Please feel free to message me with any recipes or things you'd like to see me try. Just keep it meat-free(excluding seafood.)!

This recipe came from the wonderful Whole Foods app I have on my iTouch. Seriously guys, best free vegetarian vegan food app on the market. It has tones of recipes, thoughtfully cataloged by diet, course, and category.
  I picked this one because I really want to eat something other than PB&J for lunch. And it's the weekend so I can prepare whatever I want!

Portobello Mushroom Supper Sandwich:















Ingredients

2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon prepared balsamic vinaigrette,* divided
2 pieces focaccia bread, about 6-x-6-inches each
2 slices provolone cheese
2 jarred roasted red peppers, drained well
Handful arugula leaves

Preperation

Marinate mushrooms at room temperature in 1/4 cup of vinaigrette for about 20 minutes.

Preheat broiler. Broil mushrooms about 3 inches from the broiling element 6 to 7 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Halve the focaccia horizontally and place the cheese on one side of the bread. Cut the broiled mushrooms into l-inch-thick slices diagonally and arrange them over the cheese. Place the peppers over the mushrooms and top with the arugula. If you like, sprinkle a little vinaigrette over the arugula. Close up the sandwiches and serve.
Mouthwatering no? I will write a follow up post and let you know how it is. In the mean time, why don't you try it for yourself. Leave me a comment it, and dish about the dish(Oh, I'm so clever!). Oh and a heads up; focaccia bread is the shit! I'll have to ask my mom for her recipe. I know what I'm posting next week!
Ciao my imaginary followers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment