Thursday 6 January 2011

Sweet Sweat of Success!

So today I feel accomplished! After a month or so of continual jogging I have reached the 3 mile mark! I've been dying to get past 2--my usual length. And today I finally did it, and in less than 30 minutes I might add.
 Sweat drenched my back when I hoped off the treadmill, but it was the sweet sweat of success. Ewww!! Isn't that the most gross alliteration you've ever heard. Sorry people it's almost 11 at night, and I've had a long day. What can you expect. :)
 My older sister says I have achieved military standards for women, with my under 10 minutes/1 mile. Oh, how that brightens my day! She even went so far as to proclaim I join the track team at my school. It sounds tempting served along with the other compliments. But I'm not sure I'm ready to face seasoned runners in a race( again with the alliteration!). Also, if I were to join track I would need a zero hour for French 1--a class I started last year and quit to join a sport. Do I see a pattern emerging here?
 Last year I made the softball team, a dream of mine ever since I was turned away in middle school(probably because I was so thin the coach thought the wind would sweep me off the field. Softball seems to be dominated by the heavier set girls.) I've played rec-softball ever since I was a little kid, and loved it. So it was very heartbreaking to not make the team.
 Trying out for the school team last year was extremely nerve recking. Even asking the coach for a form and tryout dates was a test of courage. I walked past her room multiple times debating whether to go in. Then hid in a bathroom stall wrestling with my resolve. Finally I told myself: "If not now when?"( a quote from one of the best teachers I've ever had) If you don't put yourself out there how will you ever know if you're good enough? Sure there's a chance you'll embarrass yourself and not make it. But it's better to have tried. So I grabbed a form, got a physical, spent many hours playing catch with anyone who would, and went to the tryout and gave it my all. The day of the posting, I literally almost burst into tears because I'd convinced myself I hadn't made it. I went through the whole morning depressed and couldn't even bring myself to look at the list Until my friend Rijutha dragged me to the library windows and looked for me. And you know what, all my hard work did pay off; I made it( as a freshman too, I might add)!
 Most of the season I spent at the bottom of the lineup, but I look back and am proud of what I did. I finally proved that I'm good enough to play on a school sports team. And more importantly I went after something that I was scared to try.
So in the immortal words of my 8th grade English teacher: "If not now, when?"

No comments:

Post a Comment